|2010 Winners, Camp Stumblin' Puddle|
To extend the spirit of sustainable festivation into the campgrounds, Planet Bluegrass will once again be holding the How Green is your Grass? Campsite Challenge. Coordinated by the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics, the 5th annual contest encourages all of us to raise the bar for sustainable camping by honoring campsites that excel in achieving the highest levels of the Leave No Trace philosophy.
We're excited to announce 2 grand prize winners in 2012! Congratulations to Town Park campsite Crossroads of Steamboat and Warner Field campsite Camp Blow-It-Out. They'll both again be camping at the 2013 festival – though this year for free thanks to winning the 2012 Campsite Challenge.
We received impressive entries from every campground. Thanks to these and many many other thoughtful, sustainable campsites, the footprint of the Festivarian campers was drastically reduced. Thank you and congratulations to everyone who helped make this possible. Give them a virtual pat on the back over at the Festivarian Forum.
How Do I Participate?
The contest is open to all campers in any of the Planet Bluegrass-managed campgrounds. To nominate your own campsite or one of your neighbors:
- Submit a campsite entry form, including a sketch of your campsite.
- Stop by the Leave No Trace booth each day to view all the campsite entries. Campsite finalists will be chosen daily by staff and Festivarians.
- Planet Bluegrass will select the grand prize winner after the campground pack-out is complete on Monday. The winner will be announced in the next “Notes from the Planet” email and on this web page (see above).
How Do I Win?
We will be judging on three simple criteria:
- Cleanliness. Are you repackaging the food you bring? Are you keeping a tidy campsite? Are items secure and not susceptible to wind gusts? Are you safely disposing of cigarette butts?
Voting at the LNT booth
- Creativity. Does your campsite have a theme? Are you utilizing any unique and innovative camping techniques?
What Do I Win?
Random winners will be chosen each day to win New Belgium beer, Leave No Trace memberships, and music from Planet Bluegrass. One grand prize winner will be selected after the campground pack-out on Monday from the four daily finalists. This grand prize winner will receive a pair of Town Park Campground passes for the 2013 Festival.
For More Information
Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics is an educational, nonprofit organization dedicated to the responsible enjoyment and active stewardship of the outdoors by all people, worldwide. Visit at www.LNT.org or call 1-800-332-4100