|2015 winners Hog Heaven from Frisco, CO|
To extend the spirit of sustainable Festivation into the campgrounds, we invite all RockyGrass campers to enter our 9th Annual Campsite Challenge. Coordinated by the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics, this contest encourages all of us to raise the bar for sustainable and creative camping.
All entrants are eligible for random daily prizes, while campsites that excel in achieving the highest levels of the Leave No Trace philosophy could win camping and 3-day passes for the 2017 Festival.
Congratulations to the 2015 RockyGrass Campsite Challenge winners, "Hog Heaven" from Frisco, CO. For their efforts, they will receive a pair of 3-day passes with camping for the 2016 RockyGrass.
How Do I Participate?
|Leave No Trace booth|
The contest is open to all campers in any of the Planet Bluegrass-managed campgrounds. To nominate your own campsite or one of your neighbors:
- Complete the 1-page campsite entry form at the Leave No Trace booth inside the festival. (Download a PDF of the entry form now.)
- Stop by the Leave No Trace booth each day to view all the campsite entries. Each day we select 2 winners (one chosen by our staff, one chosen at random) for daily prizes.
- Planet Bluegrass will select the grand prize winner after the campground pack-out is complete on Monday. The grand prize winner will receive on-site camping and 3-day passes for the 2016 RockyGrass.
How Do I Win?
We will be judging on three simple criteria:
2014 winners Happy Birthday Grass
- Sustainability. Are you separating your recyclables, compostables, and then placing them in the correct bins at the campsite waste stations? Are you reusing products (cups, utensils, water bottles, bags) instead of trashing them? Are you using any alternative energy sources to power your campsite? Did you bike or carpool to the festival; are you offsetting carbon emissions using wind credits or carbon offsets? Will you pack out as much as possible when leaving? Did you do anything to reduce your homes’ energy while attending the festival?
- Creativity. Does your campsite have a theme? Did you decorate your campsite with lights, flags, or banners?Are you utilizing any unique and innovative camping techniques? Are you cooking any creative camping recipes? Are you upcycling any items from home?
What Do I Win?
Two campsite finalists will be chosen each day –- one random and one chosen by staff. Each winning campsite will receive a prize package including:
- New Belgium Beer
- Kelty gear
- Klean Kanteen reusables
- Leave No Trace memberships
- Fun stuff from Planet Bluegrass, including our book Telluride Bluegrass Festival: Forty Years of Festivation
Planet Bluegrass will select the Grand Prize winner (of 2016 on-site camping passes!) after the campground pack-out on Monday.
Some Tips from Leave No Trace
2013 winners Coleman Square
- Re-use is the name of the game. Bring re-usable cups, plates, napkins, etc. This will reduce the amount of trash you generate.
- Good campsites are found, not made. Bring folding tables, chairs, or other amenities to make a comfortable camp. Remember to take everything you brought with you, and leave the area better than you found it.
- Establish a clean and green camping community. Work together with other nearby campers to share your resources and strive to Leave No Trace in a fun and festive manner.
- Secure your food. Human food is unhealthy for wildlife. Protect the locals and your food by storing all your food, trash, and compost securely in your camp.
For More Information
Share your thoughts about the contest, or even a little pre-contest "bet you can't top our solar-powered strobing bluegrass baconizer" smack, over at the Festivarian Forum.
Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics is an educational, nonprofit organization dedicated to the responsible enjoyment and active stewardship of the outdoors by all people, worldwide. Visit at www.LNT.org or call 1-800-332-4100