Folks Festival Songwriter Showcase
The Songwriter Showcase is a nationally-recognized songwriter competition, open to anyone who writes and performs original music, and who is not currently signed to a major recording or publishing deal. Contestants are judged on the quality of the song’s composition, vocal delivery, and the overall performance.
Past showcase finalists include Erica Wheeler, Don Conoscenti, Karen Pernick, Deb Talan, Dan Sheridan, Dee Carstensen, Mitch Barrett, Sarah Sample, Chuck E. Costa, Liz Longley, Megan Burtt, Caleb Hawley, Robby Hecht, Caroline Spence, and 2014 winner Connor Garvey.
2015 Showcase Finalists
After listening to more than 450 songs from around the world, our judging committee of music industry professionals were consistently impressed by the originality, craftsmanship, and creativity of this year's entries. These 10 finalists will perform on the 25th Annual Rocky Mtn Folks Festival main stage on August 14, 2015 and during in-the-round sessions in the Wildflower Pavilion throughout the festival.
2015 Honorable Mentions
|2014 Songwriter Showcase finalists backstage
(photo Benko Photographics)
2015 Songwriter Showcase Schedule
- Entry Deadline: Postmarked by June 5, 2015
- Notification: Finalists will be notified by July 10, 2015.
- Finals: Friday, August 14th, 10:45am-12:30pm on the Festival Main Stage. Prizes are awarded on the main stage shortly after the Showcase performance.
- Showcase Finalists in-the-round. We'll be featuring the Showcase finalists in 3 different in-the-round sessions on Saturday and Sunday in the Wildflower Pavilion (see the Wildflower schedule for specific times).
2015 Songwriter Showcase Prizes
- 1st Place: 2016 Festival Main Stage Set, Taylor Guitar, and $300
- 2nd Place: $500
- 3rd Place: $400
- 4th Place: $300
- 5th Place: $200
- 6th - 10th Place: $100 each
|2012 Showcase winner Robby Hecht
(photo Benko Photographics)
2015 Showcase Rules and Guidelines
- Sorry, no co-writes. Songwriting entries must be entirely written by the entering songwriter.
- We encourage songwriters to submit new / different songs for the Telluride Troubadour and Folks Showcase contests. New songs will be given preference over songs which you have previously submitted to one of the Planet Bluegrass songwriting contests.
- Contestants cannot be signed to a third-party label or publishing deal. This competition is meant for emerging and independent performing songwriters.
- All tapes and CD’s must be postmarked or submitted by June 5, 2015 to be eligible.
- Ten finalists will be chosen for the Songwriter Showcase in Lyons. We will notify finalists by July 10, 2015.
- Each finalist will receive the following:
- a complimentary three day pass to the Folks Festival that includes on-site camping for one
- an “in the round” performance slot in the Wildflower Pavilion during the festival
- Finalists will play 2 original songs on the Festival Main Stage.
- Recommended time limit is 5 minutes per song.
- Points will be deducted for significantly exceeding this limit.
- Acoustic instruments with pickups are permitted as well as EQ devices but no effects.
- Instruments allowed are those that can be carried out to the mics with the performer. A keyboard will be provided if necessary.
- No backup musicians allowed. This is a solo competition.
To select the winners amongst the ten finalists, a panel of judges drawn from different facets of the music industry – songwriters, performers, DJs, producers – independently evaluate the performers’ songs based on our scoring criteria:
- 50% Quality of Composition (depth, insight, cleverness)
- 25% Quality of Vocal Rendering (vocal quality, pitch, tone)
- 25% Quality of Delivery (instrumental technique, induction of charismatic mania)
Entering the 2015 Songwriter Showcase
We accepted entries for the 2015 Songwriter Showcase from December 2, 2014 thru June 5, 2015. Limit of 2 songs per person. Songs could be submitted via:
- Online: contestants may submit electronically through SonicBids. Online submissions will cost $10/song payable by credit card. Limit 2 songs/person.
- Snail mail: send us a CD (no cassette tapes or vinyl, please) with the songs/tracks for consideration clearly specified. Please enclose checks for $10/song payable to Planet Bluegrass. Limit 2 songs per person. Please do not send any lead sheets, lyrics, publicity, bios, etc. Recordings will not be returned. Send your CD and entrance fee to:
PO Box 769
Lyons, CO 80540
Attn: Folks Showcase Contest