Folks Festival Songwriter Showcase
|2011 Songwriter Showcase finalists backstage
(photo Benko Photographics)
Congratulations to 2012 Songwriter Showcase winner Robby Hecht and all of this year's finalists. What a remarkable group of songwriters who opened the 22nd Annual Rocky Mountain Folks Festival!
The Songwriter Showcase is a nationally-recognized songwriter competition, open to anyone who writes and performs original music, and who is not currently signed to a major recording or publishing deal. Contestants are judged on the quality of the song’s composition, vocal delivery, and the overall performance. Past showcase finalists include Erica Wheeler, Don Conoscenti, Karen Pernick, Deb Talan, Dan Sheridan, Dee Carstensen, Mitch Barrett, Sarah Sample, Chuck E. Costa, Liz Longley, Megan Burtt, Caleb Hawley, and 2012 winner Robby Hecht.
We will be accepting entries for the 2013 Songwriter Showcase from December 7, 2012 thru June 8, 2013. Limit of 2 songs per person. Songs may be submitted via:
- Submit online: contestants may submit electronically through SonicBids. Online submissions will cost $10/song payable by credit card. Limit 2 songs/person.
- Submit by snail mail: send us a CD (no cassette tapes or vinyl, please) with the songs/tracks for consideration clearly specified. Please enclose checks for $10/song payable to Planet Bluegrass. Limit 2 songs per person. Please do not send any lead sheets, lyrics, publicity, bios, etc. Recordings will not be returned. Send your CD and entrance fee to:
PO Box 769
Lyons, CO 80540
Attn: Folks Showcase Contest
- Sorry, no co-writes. Songwriting entries must be entirely written by the entering songwriter.
- We encourage songwriters to submit new / different songs for
the Telluride Troubadour and Folks Showcase contests. New songs will be given preference over songs which you have previously submitted to one of the Planet Bluegrass songwriting contests.
2011 Folks Showcase finalists on stage
- Contestants cannot be signed to a third-party label or publishing deal. This competition is meant for emerging and independent performing songwriters.
- All tapes and CD’s must be postmarked or submitted by June 8, 2013 to be eligible.
- Ten finalists will be chosen for the Songwriter Showcase in Lyons. Notification will take place on July 13, 2013.
- Each finalist will receive the following:
- a complimentary three day pass to the Folks Festival that includes on-site camping for one
- an “in the round” performance slot in the Wildflower Pavilion during the festival
- Finalists will play 2 original songs on the Festival Main Stage.
- Recommended time limit is 5 minutes per song.
- Points will be deducted for significantly exceeding this limit.
- Acoustic instruments with pickups are permitted as well as EQ devices but no effects.
- Instruments allowed are those that can be carried out to the mics with the performer. A keyboard will be provided if necessary.
- No backup musicians allowed. This is a solo competition.
2013 Songwriter Showcase Schedule
- Entry Deadline: June 8th (postmarked), finalists will be notified by July 13th.
- Finals: Friday, August 16th, approx. 11:30 AM on the Festival Main Stage. Prizes are awarded immediately after the showcase.
2012 Showcase Finalists
After closely listening to more than 500 entries, our panel of songwriting judges selected these 10 finalists to perform on the Folks Festival main stage on August 17, 2012 and during in-the-round sessions in the Wildflower Pavilion throughout the festival. Listen to songs from each of this year's 10 finalists in the SoundCloud player to the right.
- Cary Cooper — Dallas, TX
- Anna Dagmar — New York, NY
- Jonas Friddle — Chicago, IL
- Robby Hecht — Nashville, TN
- Louise Mosrie — Nashville, TN
- Chris O'Brien — Somerville, MA
- Ben Shannon — Pittsburgh, PA
- Maya de Vitry — Lancaster, PA
- Anna Vogelzang — Madison, WI
- Kevin Myles Wilson — Toronto, Ontario
- (Unable to attend contest) Edie Carey — Chicago, IL
- (2nd Alternate) Chris Kee — Scott Valley, CA