|Planet Bluegrass campsite|
To extend the spirit of sustainable festivation into the campgrounds, Planet Bluegrass is again running How Green is your Grass? - the 5th annual creative campsite challenge. Coordinated by the Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics, this contest encourages all of us to raise the bar for sustainable camping by honoring campsites that excel in achieving the highest levels of the Leave No Trace philosophy.
2013 Contest Winner
Congratulations to 2013 Campsite Challenge winners Camp Runamuck Lite in the onsite campground. Hailing from Austin, TX, this well-organized, camp featured solar power for lights and phone charging, bulk propane for their kitchen, a homebrew jockey box, and breathable floor coverings that protect the campground grass. As winners of the 2013 Campground Challenge, Camp Runamuck Lite will be receiving 3-day passes and camping for the 2014 Folks Festival.
How Do I Participate?
The contest is open to all campers in any of the Planet Bluegrass-managed campgrounds. To nominate your own campsite or one of your neighbors:
- Lisit the Leave No Trace booth to fill out the 1-page entry form – explaining how your campsite exhibits cleanliness, sustainability, and creativity. Get a jump ahead of your campsite neighbors and download a copy of the application form here.
- Stop by the Leave No Trace booth each day to view all the campsite entries and vote for your favorites.
- Planet Bluegrass will select the grand prize winner after the campground pack-out is complete on Monday. The winner will be announced in the next “Notes from the Planet” email and on this web page.
How Do I Win?
We will be judging on three simple criteria:
- Cleanliness. Are you repackaging the food you bring? Are you keeping a tidy campsite? Are items secure and not susceptible to wind gusts? Are you safely disposing of cigarette butts?
- Sustainability. Are you separating your recyclables, compostables, and then placing them in the correct bins at the campsite waste stations? Are you reusing products (cups, utensils, water bottles, bags) instead of trashing them? Are you using any alternative energy sources to power your campsite? Did you bike or carpool to the festival; are you offsetting carbon emissions using wind credits or carbon offsets? Will you pack out as much as possible when leaving? Did you do anything to reduce your homes’ energy while attending the festival?
- Creativity. Does your campsite have a theme? Are you utilizing any unique and innovative camping techniques?
What Do I Win?
|Enjoying the 2007 Folks Fest|
Two campsite finalists will be chosen each day – one random and one chosen by staff. Each winning campsite will receive a prize package including:
- New Belgium Beer
- Planet Bluegrass music
- Leave No Trace memberships
Planet Bluegrass will select the Grand Prize winner of 2014 3-day passes and camping after the campground pack-out on Monday.
For More Information
Share your thoughts about the contest, or even a little pre-contest "bet you can't top our solar-powered strobe tuner" smack, over at the Festivarian Forum.
Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics is an educational, nonprofit organization dedicated to the responsible enjoyment and active stewardship of the outdoors by all people, worldwide. Visit at www.LNT.org or call 1-800-332-4100